Tahoe Home Connection is a fund of the El Dorado Community Foundation, 501 (c) 3 – Tax ID: 68-025555
Who is the Tahoe Home Connection program for?
If your home, or part of it, is unoccupied for several months of the year, then this program is for you. Examples of types of property owners who could benefit from the THC program:
- A property owner who only visits South Shore 1-2 times per year and could use a tenant to ensure the property is well looked after when they are not here.
- A property owner who only visits South Shore during one season (e.g. winter or summer), so you could make your property available during the alternate season for a business lease.
- A South Shore property owner who has a vacant suite or accessory dwelling unit in their home.
- A property owner who wants to rent their residential property, but is on the waitlist for a VHR permit.
- A VHR owner, who would like a more stable, reliable client base for part or all of the year.
- Even a South Shore local property owner who simply has a spare room in their home.
Who developed the Tahoe Home Connection program?
Several government, citizen, and business groups have come together recently to develop solutions to support South Shore’s current housing shortage including: the Tahoe Prosperity Center, Progress for Tahoe, the Realtors’ Association, St Joseph’s Land Trust, local employers, and the City of South Lake Tahoe. The program is one of several initiatives underway to support an increase in available housing supply for our workforce.
Who will manage the program?
The program is a matching program. We link up businesses with employees to interested property owners and interested property owners to property managers. You have three property management companies to from which to choose. And, you can also sign a Master Lease directly with the business.
How does the process work?
For owners, the property manager will start with a quick property walkthrough and provide you with further information about how your property would suit particular tenants currently looking for homes and recommended rates. A property management agreement is then established between the owner and the property manager.
Owners have the opportunity to choose the appropriate service for their needs – either a full property management service (regular and ongoing management for an ongoing fee) or a tenant placement service (for a one-off fee). Or, you may opt to just work directly with a business or tenant.
Is there any minimum rental period required?
There is no minimum period. A short-term lease of 2-3 months is possible, or up to 12 months or longer. Some property owners may choose to rent their property for just one season, or some may prefer to rent it longer term for a whole year. Obviously the longer the lease duration the more stable the housing is for our workforce, and the greater the benefit to our resort economy.
I don’t have a home to offer for long-term or seasonal rental at this time. Are there other ways to help?
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.